Monday, December 3, 2007

Another Set Done :(

On Friday I finished with another three classes. I had 1 Ide, 2 Dympna and 5 Meabh. I must say, I really enjoyed this group of girls. There were a couple bumps but over all they were very good classes.
With the first years I did percentages. This was a very short chapter but I ended up stretching it out over the two weeks. I really enjoyed coming up with my end project, where I had the students come up with their own math problems. Unfortunately, I was not able to do the project because the class got cancelled (the day was shortened and they were my last class that day). But I told the teacher about it so I hope she does it. What the plan was, I had the students bring in an article or an advertisement with a percentage and a value in it. Then based on everything we had just learned about percentages they would have to make their own problem using what they brought. At the end I was going to have them exchange papers and solve the problems. I was very excited about this and I think it would have been a nice way to end the unit, instead of a test.
My second years were very sad to see me go. I was teaching them about coordinate geometry, midpoint, distance and slope of a line. This was something that I thought would come easy to them but it was actually very challenging. I spent the whole two week just on those three concepts. At the end I came up with a game to review them. I had a bag of points and I would pick one and they would have to find either the midpoint, distance or slope using the equations they had been learning. At the beginning of the class I told them about it and they were not happy they were playing a game using math, but I went on and split them up into two teams. Once we got started with the game they all really enjoyed it! And later that day I was talking to one of the girls in the class and she said she really liked the game, that made me feel really good and like I connected with them.
At the beginning I was really nervous with my fifth years but everything turned out really well. I taught them about complex numbers. This topic was a bit hard because when I found out that what I was teaching I was like, "What? I am going to have to reteach this to myself." But it all went very well. There were a couple days where I would explain how to do something with complex numbers and then look out at the class and they all looked confused but we got that all sorted out. It went really well and now I will be teaching the other fifth year class the same thing.
I have been really enjoying this teaching experience! I love walking through the halls how and have the girls that I have taught say, "Hi Miss. George!" I really enjoy it and it has started that girls that I have not taught are saying hi to me too. It is great, I will be sad to leave! Now I start my last two weeks with 1 Breanann, 2 Mel and 5 Niamh. I hope they are as good as the other classes I have had, and I am sure they will be!

No comments: