Monday, December 3, 2007

LONDON!

Over the weekend Erin, Jenna and I went to LONDON!!!! I was so excited to go and after all the planning I just wanted to get there and have fun! We planned a busy Saturday so that Erin and Jenna could see as much of London as they could, and since I had been to London twice before, I planned my own morning while they were on the sightseeing bus tour.

We got off to an early start so that we could see everything. So I road the tube with the girls and they got off to get their bus and I went on. My plan was to take the Shakespeare Walking Tour, but it did not start until 10:00, and it was only 8:30. So I decided to go and see my FAVORITE thing in London, the Tower Bridge!!! Every time I see it I get shivers. I think it is absolutely beautiful! And those of you who know me well, I hate going over bridges, but the Tower Bridge is my favorite sight!
After I saw that I walked a little down the Thames and I thought I might just walk to Westminster, where I had to meet my tour guide. Then I realized how far it really was and I hopped on the tube again. When I got off the tube at the Westminster Station, I saw Big Ben! It was gorgeous! The sun was hitting it perfectly and it looked lovely. I still had time before my tour started so I walked around and took pictures. It was really a beautiful day to see all the sights.
Finally, Big Ben struck 10:00, so I met up with my tour guide for my Shakespeare Walk. For a couple of minutes I was the only person going on the tour, the tour guide and I were placing bets on who we thought might be coming, haha. Then 2 couples came, so the whole tour was the 5 of us! So the tour was very personalized. The tour was very nice! I would recommend any off the London Walks to anyone who goes to London, they are very informational and you get to see different parts of London that you would not see normally. During the walk we took a boat to Bankside to see, what use to be, the theater district, in Shakespeare's time. I saw the reconstructed Globe Theater, which is almost a perfect replica! The beams are even put together with wood pegs instead of metal, I could not believe it! So interesting! Then we walked into the back roads and saw where the remains of the Rose Theater is and where the original Globe Theater was. I was a little shocked when we got to where the Globe Theater was because there is just this plaque and a few informational signs. I guess I thought there would be more or at least more people looking. We kept walking and saw other sights that were important to Shakespeare and the time that he wrote his plays. The whole tour was very informative and I really enjoyed it! We ended at this market, that I wish I could have spent more time at. It was so crowded but there was so much there, I ended up having a bratwurst for lunch quick.
I had to get lunch quick because I had to hop on the tube again to meet Erin and Jenna at the London Eye! I got there a bit early so I went to a central location to watch for them. I was a little nervous at first because it was very busy and we did not have an exact meet spot because we did not know the area (even though I had been there before, it was about 6 or 7 years ago, so I could not remember). Finally I saw them! That was a big relief, but then we had to get in a very long line! But the line actually did not take as long as I expected. When we got on, I started freaking out a little because I get scared of heights. But then once we were almost all the way up to the top I felt a lot better, I think going down is much easier than going up. The views were WONDERFUL!!!! You can see so much when you go on the London Eye and the weather was great!
After the Eye, since it took a little longer than expected, we decided to do a little bit of shopping and then go for tea a little early. We had afternoon tea at the Goring Hotel, which was just beautiful. This was the one thing in London I really wanted to do and I wanted to share it with the girls. Originally we were going to go to Harrods but they were booked, but the Goring Hotel was great also! We had a very nice time.
After tea we went to Harrods! As we were getting off the tube it started snowing! It was not very much but it was beautiful. But, OMG I love Harrods! But it was so crowded! I got to see my friend from New Zealand so that was really nice. Then we did a bit of shopping. They had all these bear things and I was LOVING it!!!
After Harrods, we got back on the tube and went to Kings Cross. Here Erin and I wanted to see Platform 9 3/4!!!! It is so funny that they actually made it. Jenna, who is not as big of a Harry Potter fan as Erin and I, laughed at us, but it was great.
This was a very jam packed day but there was still something I really wanted to do, GO OUT! So we went back to the hostel and changed. Then we got on the tube and went to Piccadilly Circus! This place is crazy and night! Neon light and crowds of people, I was loving it! After walking around a little bit we found a pub, Waxy O'Connor, and it was so much fun. We walked in thinking it was not going to be that great but it was absolutely packed!! There were like 5 bars and a million rooms. So much fun and the next time I am in London I will definitely go back!
Well I had an absolutely wonderful time in London, even if it was one full day! I love the city and am not thinking I should move there! HAHA.

No comments: