Tuesday, December 11, 2007

DUBLIN!

Last weekend Erin and I went off to DUBLIN!!! This was the one place I really wanted to go on this trip, so I was VERY excited. I planned the whole weekend and I really enjoyed myself!
Saturday we went on a hop on hop off city tour. We had a little trouble finding it a first but we got it eventually. The first stop that we got off at was St. Stephen's Green. It was a beautiful park in the middle of a bustling city, I wish we could have had a picnic there, but we did not have the time and the weather was not cooperating. When we left St. Stephen's Green we were on Grafton Street. This is one of the biggest shopping street in Dublin, so of course we shopped! And again I found a Starbucks!
After some shopping and a lot of buying, we got back on the bus and the next stop was the Guinness Storehouse! I was so excited to take this tour and it was wonderful. We bought our tickets online so we got to jump the queue so that was great. The whole building is 7 floors! It began with the ingredients and production. At the end of those you were offered a taste of one of the many types of Guinness. As we continued up we learned a lot about the history of the factory and the beer. The part I really wanted to see was the evolution of the advertising of Guinness. There was even a exhibit all about John Gilroy, who drew the original advertisements. It was all very interesting. The very top floor is the Gravity Bar, where you can see all of Dublin, it was very cool but very crowded. We ended up having lunch there, which was very good, and I did a bit more shopping, of course.
While we were wait for the bus, Erin looked down and pointed out a FOUR-LEAF CLOVER!!! It was amazing!
We go back on the bus and then got off to see the Old Jameson Distillery. We did not take the tour here because neither of us were all that interested but I did buy a couple of souvenirs.After this, it was middle of the afternoon and we were very close to our hostel. We decided to make a quick stop there to drop off our purchases and then were off again to find more sight, this time on foot. We walked along the river in search of the Clarence Hotel. This is the hotel U2 owns!!! It was VERY nice. I looked into staying there during the weekend but it was WAY to expensive HAHA, but it was beautiful!Once we were done looking for Bono (we missed him :( sad) we walked around the corner and found the Temple Bar (later that night we went their to have a drink). On our walk back to the hostel we once again did some more shopping!On Sunday, we got up a little early because I really wanted to go to mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral. The Holy Eucharist was at 8:30. It was a very nice ceremony and the cathedral is absolutely beautiful! I was really happy we were able to do this.We had a bit of time before the bus left so we walked around a little and relax a little bit.Dublin was a lot of fun and I am so glad we went! Unfortunately that was my last little trip during this big student teaching trip. The next trip will be going home. The time has really flown by! I have had an amazing time and have experienced so much. Now on my last week, I plan on soaking everything in and enjoying myself!

No comments: