Friday, December 7, 2007

Tragedy Day at School

Yesterday I walked into school, happy as usual. When I walked into the Staff Room I felt like something bad happened. I was not to sure what happened so I set all my stuff down and then my principal, Sr. Nuala, came in. She seemed very sad and worried. Finally she told us that a boy from St. Michael's, the all boys school across town, killed himself the night before. I was in shock. She knew he was only 17 and in his leaving certification, the last year in secondary school. After we got all the information and how we were going to deal with it, I had to go to my 5th Year class. There were some missing, some who knew him and found out when I told them and the rest were just in shock. I found it hard to go on with class, so I just had them work on problems from the book. That way they were not learning anything new, just working at their own pace.
The rest of the day was very gloomy, may students were upset. It seems like a lot of the girls knew him and were friends with him. It is hard to understand why he would do it with all these friends who are mourning him.
This experience was hard but I am almost happy that I had it. That might sound weird but now I have dealt with suicide and it will help me in the future (hopefully their will not be another suicide) comfort students with death of a family member or friend.

No comments: